The Mount Pleasant Annual Tour sponsored by the Historical Society of Mount Pleasant is going to take place this weekend, August 6th and 7th. Mount Pleasant is located in Jefferson County, at the junction of SR 647 & SR 150 from US 250.
There are new buildings and exciting events added to the tour this year. The hours have also been extended for the tour to 10:00am – 6:00pm on Saturday, August 6th and 1:00pm to 5:00pm on Sunday, August 7th.
In addition to the society owned properties (Harris Bone Store; Elizabeth House; Historical Center; Burriss Store; Tin Shop), visitors will also have the opportunity to tour the ca. 1814 Quaker Yearly Meeting House state historic landmark. Representatives from the Ohio History Connection will be on hand at the Benjamin Lundy House/ Free Labor Store to explain the history and significance of the building and detail plans for the extensive restoration of the building. Visitors can get a sneak peek inside the original Free Labor Store section – believed to be the last extant Free Labor Store in the country.
Additional tour stops include the ca. 1846 Samuel Gill house, located next to the Evangelical Friends Church. This house was recently purchased by the church and has undergone extensive restoration. This will be the first time in many decades that the house has been open for the tour. Directly across the street is the ca. 1800 Humphreville cabin. This structure, recently purchased by society directors Don & Angela Feenerty, is undergoing intensive restoration to take the building back to its original log form. For the first time ever tour visitors will be able to take a glimpse into one of the earliest structures in the entire Upper Ohio Valley.
On the other end of town is the crowd favorite J. Brown house, owned by Gary Reynard and Justin McCrea. The home was originally two separate homes – one built in 1830 and the other in 1918. An exhibition of paintings by local artist Harold Reynard, a great-cousin of Gary’s, will be on display.
Just a few miles outside of town the ca. 1837 Hicksite Meeting House will be open. Restoration of the meeting house is underway and visitors may stroll through the small cemetery behind the building — the final resting place for several Underground Railroad conductors and Quaker Civil War soldiers.
Additional attractions during the tour will be an authentic drovers encampment set up near the Quaker Yearly Meeting House. Society member Bill Sutton will be on hand with an early 19th century wagon that he spent the past year restoring. The Heritage Dance Association will give historic dance demonstrations beneath the portico of the Evangelical Friends Church.
Shoppers will want to check out the sale at Second Chance Antique Store in town. The Rodak family, who recently purchased the old Lone Tree restaurant, will have the building open to sell their locally produced honey.
The Elizabeth House Tea Room will be open to serve a light lunch and refreshments.
Visitors are also encouraged to visit the nearby Farm Restaurant and Black Sheep Winery.
For more information or questions, please contact the Historical Society at 1.800.752.2631.